Monday, November 12, 2012

DIA DEL CARTERO

Today is Mail Carrier's Day.  We know this because it's been stamped on our letters and an envelope announcing same was left in our mailbox on the front door.  I wasn't going to leave 50 pesos in the envelope for anybody to grab, so I left a note on the door asking sr Lopez to knock.  He did and got his $50.

Over lunch el sr J and I were discussing how the mail system is different here.  The cartero arrives on a motorbike with our mail.  He doesn't walk up and down the street daily like in the US, since the receipt of mail from the government-run Correo is not necessarily a daily occurrence.   Private couriers, not the cartero, deliver our bills.  There is no junk mail except for the occasional flier stuck in the door.

When I think of all my unsuccessful attempts to stop junk mail in the US, I just have to say again, ¡viva México!

No comments:

Post a Comment