Wednesday, July 6, 2011

CULTURA ARABE



I've been under the spell of Arabic culture, having read The Cambridge Introduction to Edward Said and Elias Khoury's Gate of the Sun.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find what everybody in the novel was drinking:  Arak.

                                              

But when we went to market the other day and I saw what looked like lemons (below, right), I thought I could make preserved lemons.  The "limón" question in Mexico is very tricky.  There are big green ones, little green ones (below, left), and, not here, but in other parts of Mexico, yellow ones, and they're all called "limones."  So I asked the market guy what this new product was and he told me, "limas."  He went into a long, confusing explanation of the difference between limas and limones.  I bought some, and lo and behold, they taste like oranges.  Not very good for preserved lemons, I'm thinking.


Yes, I tried researching the issue online, but that was even more confusing than the market guy.
Stay tuned.  More Arabic dishes coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment