Thursday, December 9, 2010

COREOGRAFIA DE CAMINAR EN LAS CALLES

This was the sidewalk we took on the route to Migración. See how narrow it is? See that bus coming? What if someone was walking the other way on the same side? Who yields? Is there such a thing as right of way on the sidewalk? What is the protocol for walking on narrow sidewalks on busy streets? Or on any kind of sidewalks on any streets, for that matter.


There is a tope (speed bump) here on the street, so the bus must slow down, but still. . . .

Since moving here, I've been considering the dynamics of the politesse of pedestrians. At first I thought that one should always keep to the right (like with driving). But this thought soon came in conflict with the behavior of the locals, who seemed to know instinctively how to pass on narrow sidewalks, and it wasn't according to the rules of driving. It involved a last-minute, subtle movement, a dip of the shoulder that allowed the oncoming pedestrian to pass untouched. It could be a right-hand or left-hand pass.

I had a need to establish the "right" position at a certain distance from the walkers heading for me. I could not hold MY position until the last moment, like people who live here and are used to dipping left or right at the very last moment. So now I try to figure out what side they want and move myself accordingly. Walking and watching and planning. While at the same time looking out for holes in the sidewalk and the occasional doggie doo. I don't think el sr J has this same problem, but I'll let him speak for himself.

So here are some of the things I think about as people are coming toward me.

1) Are they older than I am?
2) Are they carrying a heavy load?
3) Do they have children with them?
4) Are they blind or walking with a cane, or do they have some other kind of infirmity?
5) Are they teenagers in a pack?
6) Are they men dressed in a black/blue shiny suit?
7) Are they grossly overweight?
8) Are they boyfriend/girlfriend unwilling to separate for a damn second to let me pass?
9) Etc.

It's a lot to think about in the short time: I may have to step into the street and risk being run over by a bus, or paste myself up against a wall, or wait behind a tree or utility pole until they pass.

Below is a sidewalk we use almost every day, sometimes more than once. The building on the right is a state government building and every day men in black/blue shiny suits hang outside smoking and blocking the way. Sometimes, as in the photo below, they block the sidewalk with open car doors. 5 puntos for correctly guessing what I say to them to get them to move aside so I can pass. No, no bad words. I'm polite. Hint: 2 words, 4 syllables.


3 comments:

  1. "con permiso," and if that doesn't work: TERCERA EDAD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡5 puntos para Mimi, con un punto de extra-crédito para su sentido de humor! Puntos sirven para 6 vodka tónicas en Querétaro.

    Sue, ¡no te desanimes! Habrá más puntos.

    ReplyDelete