Sunday, January 9, 2011

EL SILLON DE LIVERPOOL

I was going to post this yesterday, but it seemed trivial and insensitive given the unfolding tragedy in Arizona. It's still trivial, but I hope not too insensitive.

Several expats here have expressed the opinion that Mexican furniture is either cheap and ugly or exorbitantly expensive and ugly. We don't mind the cheap and the ugly. We've already bought a lot of that from "The Cowboy from Hell," as his pickup truck announces. But we had a corner that needed a chair and everything we looked at came in juegos of sofa/2 chairs, was clunky and overstuffed, and was made of vinyl or fake suede. And they were expensive.

In what we hoped would be a successful attempt to find something less ugly and only a little more expensive, we went to the shopping center with the two high-end stores: Liverpool and Sears (!!!!!). Sears had some Ikea-looking chairs for over $1,000. Then, mirabile dictu, we found one we liked in Liverpool. Yes, it cost more than we've ever paid for a piece of furniture, but then we've never paid much for a piece of furniture. It says it's made of Italian leather.

I will never buy anything else there, however. We bought it on Monday. They said someone would call us Thursday to tell us when it would be delivered on Friday. A woman called us on Thursday and said they would deliver it between 10 and 7 on Friday. I asked, "you mean we have to wait all day for it?" "Correcto," she said. So one of us had to stay home all day Friday.

I crocheted, I checked the news every hour on 4 different on-line newspapers, I read "Best European Fiction from 2011." Believe me, there's a reason you don't know any authors from Moldova or Montenegro. By 6:00 smoke was coming out of my ears and I was trying to call Liverpool, unsuccessfully. Then, at 6:30 a guy knocks on the door, points out the Liverpool emblem on his shirt, and turns around and runs away. I wait, and back he comes WITH THE CHAIR ON HIS BACK and he's running. A little guy.

So here it is with the lamp and hassock we bought the next day. It smells good.


No comments:

Post a Comment