Thursday, February 17, 2011

VENGANZA SEXUAL


Venganza sexual was the title in Spanish for the Australian film, Alexandra's Project, which we saw the other night around the corner at the Centro de Arte.  A very bad title interpretation, if you ask me.  The revenge was much more than sexual; it was total.

The opening music made clear that this was a stalker movie, a genre I usually avoid.  But this time the tables were turned and the female protagonist was, it seemed, stalking her husband.  I don't know why, but this theme was much more interesting for me.  I wasn't really expecting the woman to jump out from behind a door or closet and attack her husband; I just didn't know what to expect.  At one point she gave their children some colored liquid to drink, and you know what we all were thinking.  Here she is contemplating her project:


This film followed Scenes from a Marriage and The Cook, the Thief, the Woman, Her Lover (Helen Mirren, aka The Queen,  naked!).  Seems like there's a "vengeful woman" theme.  

El sr J thinks they're compensating for Malinche.

No comments:

Post a Comment