Sunday, November 28, 2010

EL PESO Y LOS PESOS

El peso. The weight, not the $. You know how some things in supermarkets in the US are sold by weight and some by the piece (melons, limes, avocados, etc.)? Well, almost all of the comestibles in our markets here are sold by weight, as in kilos and gramos. Even. . . .

los huevos

You can imagine how nerviosa I was carrying these home in a plastic bag. This weighing of eggs thing also clears up a minor mystery for me. When we were looking at refrigeradores we noticed the egg containers looked like this (some had 8 holes, some 6, we have 10):

I was used to thinking by the dozen, not by peso (weight). These were 120 pesos ($) for 12. Yes, I ordered una docena and watched (in wonderment) as the clerk put them on the scale and told me the price. Pesos paying for peso.


No comments:

Post a Comment